Thursday, April 5, 2012

Keeping the child alive or why I have a YA book in hand...

So there was this opinion post written by a gentleman which has caused quite the furor amongst those who read. He says that adults should stick to reading adult books cos it's not kosher to read YA books.

I'm trying to figure out if he's trying to pull the other one cos after reading it myself, I went, 'really??'

OK. So.

Not like I want to throw fuel on the fire or sound like a troll but I figure, my initial reaction ought to be entertaining.

My first thought was: what an arrogant ass.

Then, I thought about it some more, re-read his post, and decided it would be best for me to write it out. Like I was writing an adult novel, dig it.

As some of you know (ok, most of you), I'm a HUGE Harry Potter fan. I also am a huge fan of YA books as well. I am amazed at the selection that is available nowadays in the book stores for young adults. I didn't have even close to that when I was that age.

I have read the 'adult' books and frankly? I couldn't finish half of them. There is only so much self-awareness I can handle and bad writing and posturing that has me wanting to throw up in my mouth.

Look, some of the best books in the world have been written for young adults. 'The Outsiders', 'Are you there god, it's me, margaret?', 'The Wind in the Willows', all of the Narnia books, 'Deerskin', 'A Wrinkle in Time' and I have to stop there cos otherwise, it's going to read like a who's who of awesomeness.

I didn't care for Twilight, myself but I know there are a lot of people who really like the books. I haven't read 'The Hunger Games' yet but my sons have all three books and I'm sure I'll kipe the first one just to see what all the buzz is about.

By the way, Mr. Stein, your synopsis of The Hunger Games was either you trying to be twee or you being clueless. Either way, puke...just sayin'.

And here's the thing, lads....Young Adult books are gateway books. Yes, yes they are. Cos when you read books that capture your imagination and won't let you go...then you want to find MORE books like that. You fall into the worlds and love and hate the people in between the pages and you have this honourary passport to all the worlds and countries listed within the books that have touched your heart and mind and imagination.

Why, I alone count myself as a proud traveler amongst many worlds and places. As a young reader/young adult reader, I whetted my appetite on books. Books helped me get through some pretty dark places and reminded me that I'm not alone.

And the thing I really like about YA novels and that I suspect why other 'adults' like them as well is cos they are so REAL. The emotions and the story and the people...it's that comfort of knowing that I'm not the only one who's been ostracized or who has had to make hard choices or who just doesn't give up even though the odds are against them. I will be 60 years old and I will choose to read YA novels cos it reminds me that I have so much in common with the younger people who read them. I don't ever want to forget that I was younger. I don't want my emotions and my thinking to become old and stagnant. My love of YA novels ensures that won't happen.

I'm not afraid of growing old. I know that my hair will become grey and that my body will slow down. This is a natural part of life. I am afraid of losing that child like wonder and awe at every day and not so every day things. I don't want to forget those emotions that run so strongly through me and so close to the surface. I don't want to become trapped in a rut, in a groove, in some stagnant pattern that strips away the essence of me and ages me in ways that are horrifying.

So I'll keep reading the YA novels that appeal to me. I'll re-read my old favourites. I'll go to movie adaptations with my boys (and maybe, someday with my grandkids)...I'll introduce my favourite novels to my boys and hypothetical grandkids so we can all talk about them and walk in those worlds for a while.

I read plenty of adult books, thanks. There are some good ones out there, too...but I owe it all to YA novels that enticed me and befriended me and helped me step from that path to the other.

If you see me in the YA aisle at the bookstore, don't assume I'm there to buy a book for someone younger....if you see me reading a YA book, don't think I don't have the chops to debate literary archetypes....when you smirk at me cos I've got a battered copy of 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' or 'The Silver Chair' (one of my favourite Narnia books), I'm going to give you a cool stare back.

I'm not ashamed of my YA roots and I'm not about to give up my love affair with them cos it's 'not adult' enough. And I'm really really glad that my sons aren't ashamed of me for wanting to share their favourite YA novels with me. It's drawn us closer and we happily spend time discussing the big themes within them and why we like them so darn much.

So, I'm an embarrassment to people who have eagerly shed their childhood skin and consider themselves 'adults.' Eh. Whatever. Have fun with that.

I'll be over here perusing the YA section in the book store.

No comments:

Post a Comment